- Publisher: Syzergy Press
- Available in: eBook, paperback
Jimmy Wharton’s good-looking, popular and studies commerce/law at Sydney’s best university. Everything points to him having a wonderful life, but in reality, he’s crippled with a debilitating case of depression – one that he feels so suffocated by that he starts to believe that suicide is his only way out.
However, he knows that killing himself would absolutely shatter his high school sweetheart Olivia. So instead of doing so, he promises her that he’ll get the help he needs, and in return, she vows to support him in every way she can. But finding that light at the end of the tunnel proves to be the most challenging, tumultuous, heartbreaking thing either of them have ever had to do. And, just when it looks like they’ve glued their hearts back together again and finally found it, Jimmy’s illness brings him face to face with death.
And in a bizarre twist, also puts Olivia’s life at risk too.
You’ll find this book appealing if:
- You’re a fan of gritty, passionate love stories;
- You want to relive the highs, the lows and the intoxicating rush that’s unique to first love;
- You’re a young adult who wants to read about another young adult striving for the same things you are;
- You’re interested in understanding depression better; you suffer from depression yourself and you want to feel like you’re not alone; or you want to see how you can better support a loved one with depression;
- You’re a parent of a young adult and you want to understand how easily your child can tumble into depression, and you want to prepare yourself to be able to recognise the symptoms if they ever do fall victim (unfortunately, depression strikes as many as 20% of teens, and for 15-24 year olds, suicide is the third, the second and the leading cause of death in the US, the UK and Australia, respectively).
You’re unlikely to enjoy this book if:
- You despise swearing (given the subject matter, there is a fair lot of it in this book);
- You are put off by explicit sex scenes;
- You’re after a light-hearted story.
“Centred around Jimmy and Olivia’s heartfelt, passionate and troubled love, I Will Not Kill Myself, Olivia is a painfully honest, authentic and provocative novel … one that presents a mesmerising portrayal of the all-consuming force of depression that dominates the main character … one that takes the reader on a highly emotional journey … and one that achieves a perfect balance of emotions, action and drama.” The Columbia Review.
“A modern day Romeo and Juliet – a powerful, heartwrenching story that takes you on an emotional rollercoaster ride as Jimmy and Olivia try to hang on desperately to love in the face of Jimmy’s mounting depression.” Nick Bleszynski, bestselling author of Shoot Straight, You Bastards! (Random House, 2002) and You’ll Never Take Me Alive (Random House, 2005).
“An explicitly realistic, absolutely intriguing and stunningly gritty novel … one that snatches the reader’s attention right from the start … and one that provides fantastic food for thought for all young adults.” Pacific Book Review.
“A romance story that tugs at the heart, and entices readers with pure raw emotion … from steamy, unadulterated throes of passion to being tossed into the deepest, darkest depths of despair, Baker creates an immersive world for Jimmy and Olivia … you will feel their love, experience their torment, and empathize with their pain.” San Diego Book Review.
“While the protagonist’s story can help people with depression to face their own problems and help non-sufferers understand the illness, I Will Not Kill Myself, Olivia will also appeal to a much broader audience – including teenagers, who can view typical young adult behaviour from a different perspective; and parents, who after reading this book, may choose to become more attentive to their teens.” Portland Book Review.
“One of the most singularly powerful books about depression on the market.” Midwest Book Review.